- 600g veal mince
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 small brown onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped +extra small leaves, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 700g tomato passata with basil
- 2/3 cup instant polenta
- 40g butter, chopped
- 35g (1/3 cup) parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Steamed green beans and broccoli, to serve
1 Place mince, half the garlic, onion and half the basil in a large bowl. Season. Mix to combine well using clean hands. Roll a tablespoon of mince mixture into a ball. Repeat to make 20 meatballs.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Set meatballs aside on a plate. Add remaining garlic and chilli to pan and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add passata, stir well, bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Return meatballs to pan and cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until sauce thickens. Add remaining basil and stir through.
3. Cook polenta according to packet instructions. Add butter and 3/4 of parmesan. Season and stir until butter melts.
4. Top polenta with meatballs. Spoon sauce over meatballs and sprinkle with remaining parmesan and basil leaves. Serve with beans and broccoli.
- Other herbs such as thyme, chives, parsley or mint would also be delicious.
- Swap onion for 1 eschallot, finely chopped, if desired.
- Serve with a green salad with lemon dressing instead of steamed vegetables.