Veal meatball sub with tomato sauce
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Serves 4
- 500g veal mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp parsley leaves, finely chopped +extra leaves, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 long crusty bread rolls, split
- 80g baby rocket leaves +extra, to serve
- 2 small zucchini, peeled into ribbons
- 2/3 cup tomato and garlic pasta sauce, warmed
- 1/4 cup (20g) parmesan cheese, shaved
- Lemon wedges, to serve
1. Place mince, garlic, onion and parsley in a large bowl. Season and mix to combine. Roll tablespoons of mince mixture into balls. Repeat to make 16 meatballs.
2. Heat oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs for 4-5 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Set meatballs aside on a plate.
3. Fill rolls with rocket, zucchini and meatballs. Top with pasta sauce and parmesan. Serve with extra rocket and lemon wedges.
- To make your own roast tomato sauce, prick 250g cherry tomatoes with a fork. Place on a baking tray with 1 clove crushed garlic and sprinkle with thyme leaves. Spray lightly with olive oil, season, toss to coat and roast for 20 minutes or until soft. Place in a bowl with 2 tablespoons water. Season to taste and stir to combine.
- Add 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted, to the meatballs, if desired.
- Use any type of pasta sauce or pesto on the sub.