Veal frikadeller (Danish meatballs) with creamy mushroom sauce
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Serves 4
- 600g veal mince
- 350g fusilli pasta
- 1 small brown onion, grated
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 200g pre-sliced brown mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup (125ml) light sour cream
- Baby gem lettuce and cucumber salad, to serve
1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Drain and set aside, keeping warm.
2. Place mince, onion, half the chives, breadcrumbs and milk in a large bowl. Season and mix to combine. Roll tablespoons of mince mixture into balls. Repeat to make 20 meatballs.
3. Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frypan over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs, in batches, for 6-7 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Set aside on a plate.
4. Heat remaining oil in same cleaned pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce and cream, bring to the boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 1-2 minutes or until sauce thickens. Return meatballs to pan and stir to heat through.
5. Place meatballs and sauce on top of pasta, sprinkle with remaining chives and serve with salad.
- Freeze any leftover mince for burger patties.
- Any mushrooms will work well in this recipe.
- Swap chives for parsley, thyme or mint.