- 400g veal stir-fry strips
- 200g dried vermicelli noodles
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice +extra wedges, to serve
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon tamarind puree
- 1 long fresh red chilli, finely chopped
1. Prepare noodles according to packet instructions. Drain and cool.
2. Place veal in a large bowl or snap-lock bag, add oil and toss to coat. Heat a char-grill pan over high heat. Cook veal, in batches, for 1-2 minutes or until browned. Set aside on a plate covered loosely with foil.
3. Combine noodles, tomatoes, cabbage, onion and Thai basil in a large bowl.
4. Place vinegar, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, tamarind puree and chilli in a small bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add half the dressing to salad and toss to coat.
5. Top salad with veal, drizzle with remaining dressing and serve with lime wedges.
- When stir-frying the meat wait at least 30 seconds before tossing or stir-frying. This gives the meat a chance to brown, giving it good colour and flavour. The second side will take a little less time to cook. - Once you return the meat to the wok, take care that it does not boil in the liquid or it will toughen. Stir-fry only to combine and warm through. - Add some coriander or mint leaves to the salad for extra flavour.